A great man, whose name I have conveniently forgotten, once said, ‘Age is just a number’ and I couldn’t agree more and neither could todays dating scenario. Gone are the days when dating used to be the sole arena of the young and when the ‘appropriately-aged’ were counted out. Today, everyone is looking to expand their horizon; older women dating younger men and vice versa have, become a pretty acceptable practice. But dating someone your own age group and dating someone younger, are two very different games. There might be some difference in your point of views and your expectations might differ there are a myriad of things you need to keep in mind if you’re looking to broaden your horizon so to speak. But the bottom line is basically the same as it always was, know what you want, be sure about it and do not settle.
If you’ve been out of the game for quite some time now and are more than a little nervous about going on that first date. Don’t worry that’s completely normal; it always takes a little while to get back in the groove. We are here to help you get back in your groove faster.
If you’re looking to get back in the dating game, here is our list of dating ideas for older women or as I like to call them, well-aged women.
Tips For Dating Older Women
- Be confident: ‘Men are attracted to confident women’ is not a myth, its more true than any other dating myth. Confidence is a quality that almost all men are drawn to. Men like women who are sure about themselves and are comfortable in their skin, since they are a bit easier to talk to. Look at it this way, if you’re confident about yourself, you won’t shy away every time a guy looks at you. This is what sets you apart from the younger girls. Don’t be afraid to start a conversation, a lot of men are too nervous to approach a woman and they most of them would actually prefer if you initiate the conversation.
- Know what you want: What are you looking for in a relationship? You need to be absolutely sure about this part or it’ll be kind of like going to buy pants without knowing the size. You’ll go, you’ll browse and you might end up with the worst possible fit. Every guy will not want the same things that you want and he might not be able to offer the things that you want either and this is how murder mystery novels usually start.
- Fear not!: Here’s the thing, you’re not exactly new to this game and you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of. In fact you have a lot to offer to the relationship and he knows it. You know that a guy can’t make or break you; that this is a date and not a marriage proposal; this makes you all the more desirable.
- Communicate: This is VERY important. If you want things to move forward you have got to keep an open line between the two you. try to learn more about each other, and subsequently don’t be afraid to share your fears and what you expect from the relationship, but at the same time maintain an air of mystery, he should know you and at the same time be surprised with some aspects about you and your personality. At a later point in your relationship feel free to share why you were drawn to him or ask him why he was drawn to you. Bottom line; talk to each other.
- Don’t assume the worst: Don’t always assume the worst possible outcome for your relationship even if you’re dating a younger man. Don’t assume that the relationship isn’t viable or worse, that he’s cheating on you. Insecurities about yourself never pan out well and will only end up making you seem weird and clingy. Be confident about yourself and don’t be afraid of giving your relationship a chance. And if he is cheating on you can always trade him in for a newer model and you should let him that.
- Don’t be his mommy: If you’re an older woman dating a younger man the worst possible thing you can do is mommy him. Younger men will respect you and look for advice but that’s where you tread lightly or you’ll end up in the mommy zone, the best place to be if you want to make things awkward. Always make it a point to reinstate the fact that you are his significant other.
- Being Different isn’t necessarily bad: Sometimes women are afraid that they don’t share anything in common with their significant other. Well even if you two have nothing in common, this gives you an opportunity to talk more and talking is always a good thing. This also gives you an opportunity to introduce him to one of your hobbies or pick up a new one from him.
- Know when to call it quits: You have to know when things have run their course and when he’s just not that into you. It is pretty futile to go about kicking a dead horse. If at any point you realise that he just not involved in the relationship as you are that would be the point when you should let go and start fresh. It isn’t the end of the world you know.